I'm totally anal about being on time and keeping appointments I've agreed to. I'm probably not normal in how much I care about it. If I've decided to agree to something, it means that I respect it enough to give it my attention. I see it as complete disrespect when someone doesn't value my time. I realize things come up and change, that's why God gave us 20 million different ways to communicate in the digital age. There is absolutely no excuse for not making contact to say "I'm going to be late," or "I can't make it." Sometimes people don't do it because they are embarrassed. It's obvious -- they make up excuses afterwards, or play down whatever happened. Sometimes they are just hopelessly lame.
These scenarios seem to pop up lots in my personal life. I deal with those in a certain way. What irks me today is that it happened to me professionally, and ended up infringing on me professionally and personally. I had a photo shoot scheduled, so I took off work to get things set up. Early morning chat and everything is lined up. Time for shoot comes and goes. I'm so pissed I refuse to make contact to ask if we're still working together. No show. No call. No text. No tweet. No voicemail. No IM. No email. No note. No nothing.
Next day, I get a call. Nonchalant. "Hey, I missed the appointment, it couldn't be helped. Things came up, want to reschedule." So, basically, things came up, but I couldn't take the 15 seconds it took to call you right now to call you yesterday...in any of the 14 hours of day. I don't respond. 24 hours later I decide that it's important for me to do this work. I had been criticized for not being racially diverse enough in my portraiture and the model was a beautiful African American woman that I felt could fit my style well. So, I give her a call and agree on another appointment. She's kind and thankful. She has the whole day free.
The day comes. We chat in the morning (again). The time I had proposed won't work, so we bump it back a few hours. The new time comes and goes. Nothing. Nada. It's been a week and I've heard nothing. No more chances. I gave one too many, and it cost me.
0 comments:
Post a Comment